Contempt of court occurs when a party fails to comply with a court order. It often occurs in a family law context. For example, if one parent defies a court order and refuses to turn over the children for visitation to the other parent, the aggrieved parent may request the court to hold the non-complying parent in contempt.

There are defenses that can be presented to the court. On occasion, there are circumstances that arise that make it impossible to comply with a court order. For example, a spouse may fail to pay spousal support because the paying party was laid off of the job and had no income.

Civil penalties for contempt may include a fine or even time in jail. Most often, the contempt can be resolved without these penalties if the non-complying party ultimately complies with the order of the court.

If you think your children's other parent, or your ex-spouse, has defied a court order, review carefully your divorce decree or court-approved parenting plan. If the other party has failed to comply with an order, you may bring a motion for contempt.

If your ex-spouse or children's parent has brought a contempt motion against you, you may need to contact an attorney to help you defend against the request.

Lauren A. Taylor is a Georgia Contempt Lawyer Who Can Help

At the law office of Lauren A. Taylor, P.C., we work with our clients to find the right solution for them personally. If you need to either file a motion for contempt, or defend against one brought against you, we may be able to help. Located in Newnan, GA, we serve all those in Coweta and surrounding counties. Call 770-507-0822 for a free consultation.