Modification & Child Support

Child support payments are generally made by the noncustodial parent to assist with the expenses associated with raising a minor. They are usually court-ordered and serve the best interests of the child. The money goes toward things such as clothing, food, medical treatment and the overhead of maintaining a stable home environment. As time passes, people's circumstances often change after the initial child support order is issued and modifications may be necessary.

That's why it's important to work with an attorney who practices Georgia family law and has experience with child support and modifications to court orders. At the law offices of Lauren A. Taylor, P.C., we provide strong, compassionate family law representation.

Child Support Orders

When married couples part ways or people have children out of wedlock, financial support is determined by comparing each parent's financial circumstances. Although the courts have established standards and criteria for child support payments, it's in your best interest to present a complete financial picture for the court that accounts for income and expenses. It's imperative that you work with an attorney that requires the other parent do the same so that a fair and accurate figure can be determined.

Modifications to Existing Orders

There are a number of circumstances that warrant petitioning the court to change court-ordered child support. Both the custodial and noncustodial parent can ask the court to increase or decrease the financial obligation based on a limited number of reasons. These changes can be put in place on a temporary basis to get through emergency situations. Thing such as family emergencies, illness, temporary financial or employment setbacks are legitimate reasons to ask for short-term adjustments. Modifications can also be made permanent. Reasons to modify an order include:

  • Involuntary loss of employment
  • Significantly reduced earnings
  • Significantly improved financial circumstances
  • Noncustodial parent fails to maintain visitation schedule
  • Noncustodial parent exceeds visitation schedule
  • Change in finances due to marriage

If you are facing a child support determination or wish to have an existing order modified, contact the law offices of Lauren A. Taylor, P.C., for a consultation. Call 770-507-0822 today.